The Software Engineer is a team contributor role within Kobalt’s Engineering domain. This role is responsible for development of a SaaS Security Operations system, geared towards mid-sized organizations.
Kobalt’s Security Operations system builds on industry-leading frameworks and tools to deliver a world class solution for logging, monitoring, and alerting customers about security issues that can impact their business.
If you are ready for a new challenge and want to join a growing team, this is your opportunity. Kobalt is creating a leading global security monitoring platform, and if you are eager to apply your knowledge of systems engineering to a very big problem, we would love to hear from you!
- 5+ years of software development experience, with minimum of 3 years in modern distributed application development
- Cloud native – experience with containers, Kubernetes, and public cloud platforms like AWS and GCP
- Experience with designing scalable service-oriented applications in a microservices environment
- Comfortable with data analytics and visualization concepts as well as tools
- Experience with CI/CD, automation, iterative development, and secure software design methodologies
- Able to manage complex Git flows
- At home on the Unix environment command line
- Bonus domain knowledge – desirable but not required:
- Familiarity with open source monitoring tools such as ELK/Elastic Stack, Prometheus
- Application and/or network security knowledge
- Experience with big data tooling – Spark, Dataflow, Hadoop, etc.
- Machine learning experience
- Participate in the design and development of Kobalt’s service offerings as a member our Engineering team, following Scrum Agile software development methodology
- Develop secure and highly scalable Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) services with 24×7 reliability
- Work with the business and management teams as well as clients to understand and implement requirements
- Build prototypes to demonstrate functionality and interaction models
- Create unit and integration tests for services
- Integrate Kobalt’s services with 3rd party systems using APIs and other methods
- Assist with resolving production issues and bug fixes related to the services
- Collaborate in support of SOC activities
- Participate in development of security logging and monitoring use-cases
- Contribute to Kobalt’s growth and role as an industry leader by building best-in-class services
- Identify areas for process improvement and automation, and aid in efforts to implement the recommendation as appropriate
- Provide regular updates to the team on key activities, accomplishments, and blockers
- Generate technical documentation
- Possess a quick start mentality with high production output
- Comfortable and flexible in a startup environment
- Ability to work independently as well collaboratively, asking for help when needed
- Detail-oriented with a focus on quality
Working at Kobalt
We’re excited about our mission and our people. We believe in continuous learning and development – you’ll learn from and with our team, share your expertise in lunch and learns for staff and external audiences, and we’ll all grow together. In fact, you probably don’t meet all the requirements above, and that’s ok. As a team we’ll fill in the gaps, and help each other meet the challenges of our mission.
We believe in impact not hours – although we often scrum, whiteboard and bounce ideas off each other together in our offices downtown, we also provide flexibility to work remote on occasion, so you can pick up the kids, go to the gym, or just enjoy a day working in your pjs. If you’re looking for a startup that demands 80 hour work weeks and provides non-stop Red Bull, we’re probably not a fit for you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value your diversity at our company. We welcome you and celebrate differences in race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We provide extended benefits and stock options. We believe if we take care of our team, pay them fairly, value their contribution, they will take care of our clients and we’ll all succeed together.