Kobalt is an equal opportunity employer looking for team members who have a real passion for security. The SOC Engineer is an engaged leader role within Kobalt’s Security Operations Centre (SOC). This role is responsible for supporting the development of an SOC, geared towards mid sized organizations.
Kobalt’s back-end systems use industry-leading frameworks and tools to deliver a best-in-class solution that is able to log, monitor, and alert clients about security issues that may impact their business.
If you are ready for a new challenge and want to join a growing team, this is your opportunity. Kobalt is building a leading global SOC, and if you have want to be a part of this journey, we would love to hear from you.
- Identify areas for process improvement and aid in efforts to implement the recommendation as appropriate
- Contribute to production of innovative technical solutions and creative automation opportunities
- Generate operational playbooks and documentation
- Provide concise and effective Tier-2 support as part of alert triage from other SOC team members
- Participate in active threat hunting, alert tuning, and discovery of new tactics, techniques and procedures (TTP)
- Operate and maintain in-house security systems providing insightful recommendations on improvements and opportunities for efficiencies
- Comfortable and flexible in a fast changing environment
- Ability to work independently as well collaboratively, asking for help when needed
- Provide mentoring for junior members of the team
- Capture regular metrics highlighting key activities, measurable accomplishment, and blockers
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or 3+ years of meaningful security operations related experience (including some SOC related)
- 2+ years of experience as a security or network administrator
- Familiar with major Open Source SIEM tools such as Elastic Stack, OSSIM, Apache Metron, OSSEC, Splunk, etc.
- Able to interpret security logs and related information, and identify false positives
Working at Kobalt
We’re excited about our mission and our people. We believe in continuous learning and development – you’ll learn from and with our team, share your expertise in lunch and learns for staff and external audiences, and we’ll all grow together. In fact, you probably don’t meet all the requirements above, and that’s ok. As a team we’ll fill in the gaps, and help each other meet the challenges of our mission.
We believe in impact not hours – although we often scrum, whiteboard and bounce ideas off each other together in our offices downtown, we also provide flexibility to work remote on occasion, so you can pick up the kids, go to the gym, or just enjoy a day working in your pjs. If you’re looking for a startup that demands 80 hour work weeks and provides non-stop Red Bull, we’re probably not a fit for you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value your diversity at our company. We welcome you and celebrate differences in race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We provide extended benefits and stock options. We believe if we take care of our team, pay them fairly, value their contribution, they will take care of our clients and we’ll all succeed together.